Friday 1 February 2008

LIFE IN THE GEEK LANE 2

This isn’t easy, really it isn’t. While the archetypal, stereotypical, clichéd view of people in our line of work is that of Tim and Bilbo from SPACED, stood behind a counter reading comics, the reality is a very different thing. I’m saying this because my back is killing me and my eyes ache from rearranging our back issue shelves (literally moving the shelves elsewhere and then refilling them), and I wanted to say a bit about how hard we work behind the scenes here, both in the store and online.


We’re a small team, but we’re a team nonetheless, and we all have our roles to play in the tragicomedy that is life. Sorry, I got a bit too pretentious there, even for me. It is a fascinating thing to observe, in that we all know each other’s quirks and strengths, and we work hard to make sure things run smoothly. They don’t always run as smooth as we’d like, and aside from the odd mishap I think we do pretty damn well. With us being situated in a shopping centre, we’re open til 9pm on weekdays and 10pm in the festive period, and the place is a hive of activity during those ours. Come and see for yourself.


But that’s not all. Outside of the store there’s the web stuff, which is going on pretty much 24 hours a day, ALL YEAR. There’s always something going on here. I mean, just speaking from my own side of things as head blog bod here, I spend a great deal of time checking out cool stuff to tell you and checking up on the facts about it. I trawl through endless sites, newsletters and lots of virtual nooks and crannies in my daily search to keep myself, my colleagues and you guys up to date with stuff going on. It is my duty as a good little geek to do this for ya. We live and breathe this stuff and that’s why we share it with you and want to help get it into your homes.


We’re always keeping an eye out for new things to offer and talk about, always looking for the next item people are going to love, and I can tell you, it takes it out of you, but we love it. The internet is a great tool for us to keep up to speed with what you guys are after, and also for us to find out about the latest developments ourselves. My inbox is bursting with info from the hottest toy, film and comics companies on a daily basis, which is great but there just isn’t enough time in the day or energy in my fingers to tell you about it all. We do try though.


I guess what I’m trying to get across is that there’s a bunch of people working very hard behind the cool exterior of our website or the chatty blogs we offer all over the net. This ain’t a machine you’re ordering from- we do it all for you at every stage, and every one of us is grateful that you took the time to visit us.


Thanks folks, you (and you, and you and YOU) make it all worthwhile.


Your friendly neighbourhood geek,



No comments: